On the First Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...a Crazy, Messed-up Family.
They aren't really crazy and messed up, but it sure does rhyme well doesn't it? In reality, they do drive me a little crazy, but what family doesn't?
Here is a little break-down of our travels for the Holidays:
2 hour drive to the airport. 2 hour wait for Plane #1. 1 Hour flight with a man that hid his cell phone so he wouldn't have to turn it off right away. 1.5 wait for Plane #2. 1.5 Hour flight to see family. 2 Hour drive back to family's house. Wait 2 weeks, Rinse, and Repeat. It was a long journey just to get our journey started, but at least there were Cinnabon's and milk along the way.
I like Mr. Adventure's family; his parents are very sweet and well-meaning, and his sister is an inspiration to be super-fit and to take care of myself. However, I think we stayed a little too long this time, because by the time we left, they had driven me half-crazy.
Mr. Adventure's dad grew up having money handed to him by his mother and as a result, he does not know how to deal with his money responsibly. Mr. Adventure grew up moving from place to place and not always having all of the things a person needs to be happy and healthy. His father would constantly borrow money from Mr. Adventure, his sister, and their grandmother with the promise of "paying it back, eventually." Even now that Mr. Adventure is grown, his father still can't handle the money. The entire trip he spent through money like he had it; he bought expensive bread, bought drinks every day, and he drives 45 minutes each way to work. He is in complete denial and won't find a job that is closer to home or more suited to his skills that would make a lot more money. I know he meant well and wanted us to be comfortable, but he doesn't see how his irresponsibility is making the rest of the family suffer. Mr. Adventure and I tried to help out however we could, but his mom and sister told us it was of no use.
His poor, fragile mother can't get away either. She is completely dependent on him because she is almost always in complete pain and can't do much for herself. She is desperate to be independent, but she is also holding herself back because she has made herself so weak.
My family doesn't have a lot of money, but my parents were certainly able to give a us a wonderful Christmas and all the things we ever needed. I missed home sooo much while we were gone and I am so thankful for the family and parents that I grew up with. It wasn't a horrible Christmas, just different and I'll talk more about some of the specific experiences later....
Happy (late) Christmas and Happy Wed-ding!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment