Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Did We Make A Mistake?

That's what we were asking ourselves Sunday afternoon during the scariest conversation I've ever had. I can't even tell you how exactly we came to it, but we'd been picking at each other all day and it just boiled over. 


Mr. Adventure and I had been at odds for most of the morning because of something stupid and by the afternoon I really wanted some attention. I went about it all wrong because I jumped him while he was reading in bed, and what started off as innocent "wrestling" turned into a real, full-fledged fight of words. 


Somehow, it came to it that we had both had doubts about getting married; our past was still haunting us both and it had a huge negative impact on our relationship. We were both holding on to the fact that we all but broke up after the first summer we were dating because I was still involved with another guy (they both knew about each other, but it was still a huge MISTAKE). When we got back to school that year, our whole relationship was different and neither of us felt much like we were dating each other; to make matters worse, I graduated and went back home a semester before he did. After feeling so separated emotionally we also had to face being alone physically. In our "talk," we both agreed we also should've ended it there like we almost did a couple months before.


It seems like our relationship has been through several "almost" breakups and we both wondered why we never did. I know the reason though; neither one of us wanted to be "the bad guy," or the one who ended the relationship. We were both cowards, plain and simple. 


So, the question comes down to.....Did we make a mistake? Did I really marry the wrong man? Writing this blog was supposed to be a happy thing; instead, it seems to have been nothing more than a place to vent over all the things that are wrong with us. 


But then something beautiful happened. We remembered that, at one time, we were happy together. When things were simple and nothing clouded us, we loved each other and were completely happy. We talked about what had changed and the things that bother us about each other now; we talked about the things that makes us unhappy about the other person and how we can fix them. We also decided to bring God back into our marriage; we want to make sure that we make good on the promise we made to be A Cord of Three. We are going to read together and study together and work to be the kind of marriage God  always intended. 


We remembered why we love each other and so far, that has made all the difference. I am trying to be more encouraging and appreciative, and Mr. Adventure is trying show me how much he loves me and wants to be around me. I know now, with God's help, that everything is going to be ok and we will have a love that will last.


Prayers for a Godly marriage, and Happy Wed-ding!

No comments:

Post a Comment